Saturday, June 30, 2007

Mama Lion




Yes, she's still breathing. No, that breathing isn't strained. Yes, she's still in her crib. No, noone took her out and stole her when you weren't looking.

Being a new mom is an interesting conflict between your left and right brain. All your instincts are clamoring for you to sit right by her and watch her like a hawk 24-7. Unfortunately, you would think that your right brain would help out occasionally. Not so! Your logical side is ready and willing to chip in and keep those irrational fires burning.

Instinct: Is she still breathing?
Rationality: Probably.
Instinct: What do you mean probably, I thought you were here to make me feel better!
Rationality: Well, SIDS is real and there is a statistical chance...
Instinct: You suck.

Laugh if you want. When you have a kid, it will happen to you too. It is getting better. As the lingering hormones work out of my system and lack of sleep kicks in, I forget to worry. I even let Jamey have yardworkers over yesterday. (I didn't like strangers around my territory prior to that. Roar!) Having said all this, everyone who comes over comments at how calm I am compared to when they had thier first kid. I'm going to guess that is age. I can't imagine being able to handle all this as well at 23 as I am at 32. Plus Ruby only cries maybe 10 minutes total a day. It's hard to get stressed out when you have such a happy baby.

The counterpart to the Mama Lion is the Daddy Happy Fun Theme Park. While I'm busy being over protective and worrying, Jamey happily roughhouses with Ruby as if she were indestructible. It's good to be the Dad! Edit: Since this post I realized Jamey has worried about her birthmark, whether her umbilical cord is infected and her ear hair. I guess worry is universal it just happens over different things.

2 comments:

Webbmom said...

I hate to say it, but the fear and overprotectiveness don't go away (but they do dissapate a little when you have 4!) You will eventually start to realize that Ruby is more flexible than a rubberband, a kiss really does make it all better, and Mommy knows everything.

Karyn said...

I love the pictures. She seems so tiny! Nothing like using a contrast of a theme park to demonstrate your different styles. I howled!